Christophe Routhieau, VP Products talks about the latest version of blueKiwi
1. Some changes to the user interface…
The first thing you will notice is the new look. We have streamlined the user interface. By reducing some of its visual clutter, it will be easier for you read and spot the things you need to see. We have also taken this opportunity to integrate the feedback we have gotten from our customers and users on interface terminology, navigation… We feel that this new interface will meet – or exceed – your expectations.
2. The new menu bar…
Located on the top of the page, this menu bar was often ignored or rarely used. Along with the changes to user interface, we also have taken a look at what we could do to the menu bar.
On the menu bar, you will now find (from left to right):
- Search features
- Access to your Network, the Space directory (You will notice that we have put both communities and groups together in the same menu. From now on, we will refer to both of them as “spaces” – which can or cannot have external members) and for our customers of our Social Media Engagement module, the Channels menu.
- New publication menu
- Access to your account and profile. For the administrators, they will find access to the tools they need here.
3. Profile and Spaces now have their own activity stream…
Due to popular demand, we have added the real-time interactive activity stream introduced in the previous version to your profiles and spaces. The positive reaction and quick adoption by our customers made using this stream the natural choice for showing activity and reacting to the things going on in your network. You will now find it on:
- The Home tab of the space to show the activity of members in the space itself.
- The Profile to see all of the activity of the person and creating a personal activity stream (frequently referred to as a “wall”). It can easily be filtered to show all of their interactions with the network or the private ones between the person and the user visiting the profile page.
The quick post section has also been added to make sharing even easier. You can use this feature to share and post things quickly wherever you are. On the home tab of a space, use this feature to post something and share it with the members of the space. What to share something with somebody? Just go to their profile and use this feature to start a private conversation.
4. Your own stream as well…
Your activity stream on your home page now has a new filter you might notice but you will soon become very familiar with. It is called Subscriptions. You use this feature to see a stream that is built with the activity of spaces and people you want to follow.
- By default, this activity stream shows your private messages (and replaces the Messages filter).
- On each space and profile, you will find a subscribe button you can use to add their activity to this stream.
- You can manage the spaces and people you follow in your account settings
This stream allows you to concentrate on the activity that is important to you. You will also find your private message in this stream as well. It goes without saying that private messages are, by definition, important and should be included here.
5. Settings pages…
The way you set up your profile, manage your account settings, and personalize spaces has been redesigned. Like for the user interface, we did this in order to improve its use and ensure coherence with the rest of the application. A great example what we have done can be illustrated in the configuration of your email digests. In this version, they are now listed according to how often they are sent (hourly, daily…) and you can also choose to have the digests to be grouped together in a single email for each frequency.
6. And we have also remembered your smart phone…
You can now take your network with you wherever you go! To take advantage of the new features in this version, we have redesigned user interface when you connect via your smart phone. And even better, we will be releasing dedicated mobile apps for your iPhone, iPad, and BlackBerry very shortly. So stay tuned.